The future of Southwest Louisiana is tied directly to the quality and voluntary contributions of its leadership. In recognition of the need to develop leaders for the future who have a clear understanding of the region and are committed to its advancement, The Chamber Southwest Louisiana and the SWLA Alliance Foundation have created Leadership SWLA.
The goal of Leadership SWLA:
- Provide a program designed to strengthen the potential leadership qualities of selected community representatives
- Provide these developing leaders with practical information concerning regional problems and issues
- Establish a communication network among the emerging and existing leaders of the community
- Challenge these leaders to increase their involvement in community affairs
- Place alumni on the boards of public or private organizations
The program begins in January with a class welcoming mixer, an overnight retreat in February, continuing through the year with full day session scheduled generally on the third Tuesday of each month, and ends with a graduation commencement ceremony.
The experienced based training sessions are conducted by recognized leaders whose decisions affect the region in areas such as economic development, business, workforce development, human services, education, government, coastal restoration, and infrastructure.
The program content is designed to give each participant training in leadership skills and increase their knowledge of the community and the state, while encouraging participation in study groups to transfer the skills learned to actual community application.
A class of 30 men and women will be selected from the applicants to represent a cross-section of our region: business, the professions, government, education, religion, civic groups, the arts, labor, minority organizations, and community groups.
Businesses, civic groups, and churches are invited to nominate candidates and interested individuals also may apply.
The Membership Committee will consider those applicants who:
- Show a strong possibility of achieving senior policy-shaping positions in their employment or volunteer organizations
- Have demonstrated a commitment to the community through volunteer work
- If employed, have the endorsement of their employer
HOW TO APPLY
If you are committed to serving the region and helping solve its problems, you are encouraged to apply by completing the form at the top of the page. For more information on Leadership/Southwest Louisiana, contact Brittany Duplechian at (337) 433-3632 or at email@example.com. If you are a Leadership Alumnus,